Sunday, August 10, 2014

A New Year--A New Chance to Change Lives

I am always so excited to start a new school year.  It's one of my favorite times of the year.  I am constantly looking for new ways to spark that flame of knowledge for my students.  As I reflect over last year, I am eagerly looking forward to making changes that I hope will increase student achievement.

It all begins with the classroom environment.  So this is what I did for this year!!
Books organized by Author's last name,
colors, and collections.
On top, Easy Reader Picture books
and Clifford collection.

Reading Nook with books mainly related to science and non-fiction selections.  Also, bottom row contains chapter books and read aloud selections that I might choose.


In the center of the room is two book
carts with a big book cart and this will
be the word work station.  
Other side of word work station.  The
yellow bins will contain that weeks
lessons. (The green recycle bin will
be moved to the end--I was painting
shelves :)

This shelf holds easy readers, sight word readers, and all of our literacy games and small group teacher led activities.




This is the writing table.  It is slanted like a drafting table with a roll of primary paper to draw and write stories.

This is the other side of the writing table with all of the supplies to make letters, cards, and other notes.    (if you notice in the background--you can see the other teacher essentials--air popper, coffee pot, refrigerator, and there's a microwave too)
This is the room from the door way.  We have round tables this year.  I am way excited.  I hate desks.  
This is the Smart Board and group instruction area.  The blue binders under the Smart Board are individual data notebooks.  The bins on the shelf to the right hold our mini iPads.  We have 4 of them!
This is our Daily 5 options.  Because of the dynamics of our classroom and student abilities.  I separated the Daily 5 across two content areas.  Part of them are during reading and part are during writing.  
This year I am using a workshop model for math and have three stations for them to visit each day.  They include At Your Seat, Math Facts with iPads, and Meet with Teacher. 
This is our I Can wall.  Above the statements are three circles to help us focus on a number of the day (recognition), sight word of the day, and letter of the day (recognition and sound).
This is on our door.  It is our classroom jobs for the year.  We do classroom jobs on Fridays and they earn Carrico Cash for completing them.  It is one way to keep our room spotless.  :)
This is also on our door.  We have our line order, bus order, and Friday Activity to help build the excitement and promote good behaviors.  

Another group instruction area.  This is mostly used for writing.  The black bins with blue labels hold our interactive notebooks for each content area.  We will be using these in all areas.  I love them!
This is the listening center.  We have cassettes and CDs.  I keep them at home since I have about 300.  I change them out weekly.




This is our data wall.  We will track STAR early literacy scores, sight words, and math fact fluency.                                               
This shelf is right inside the door.  It holds the students take home bins.                                                                                                              



This is a quick glimpse into my space for the year.  Maybe next week I will have more energy to add some links to some great products I used to help.  

Hope everyone has a fantastic first day and super fun year!!



No comments:

Post a Comment